Sunday, December 21, 2008

On The Way to the Storm of the Century

It may be stupid, but we decided to gamble that the weather will warm up and melt the ice before we get there, so we headed out to Seattle this morning. I thought we were leaving at 6 a.m. so I was ready, but Gary and Britta had a hard time getting up, so we left at 7:30. Gary had a really long driving day, but kept his sense of humor and got us all the way to Sutherlin, north of Roseburg, OR. by 5 p.m.! No really bad weather until just before we drove into the RV park. Then the wind and rain hit.

There was snow in the Siskiyous, but the road was clear--no snow or ice. The only problem was that the curvy roads and long day were too much for Elsie. While I was in signing up for our site, Elsie lost her breakfast. I came back to Gary muttering and Britta doing the dirty work, with a sad looking Elsie leaning against her. Now she's fine because we are no longer moving and I took both dogs out for a walk in the beautiful rain.

Right now we have no idea which route we will take from here. Portland has chains required on every road and Astoria is still getting snow. We will talk with Gary's cousin in the morning to see if the coast weather has changed to rain. I'll let you know more tomorrow night. I had a beautiful photo of the snow for you, but blogger won't let me upload it. Maybe tomorrow.

Wish us luck!

No comments: