Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Long beautiful day

When we started driving today, we had no idea where we would end up. We thought we did, but we were wrong.




First of all we took a wrong turn thanks to the incompetent navigator and ended up at the Log Cabin Lodge where Mom and Dad stayed many years ago.

Then we drove to the Lake Crescent Lodge, our original destination, and decided to drive on to the Hoh Rain Forest. It was beautiful, but I think we are jaded. The Rain Forest looked a lot like Clatsop County in Oregon where Gary grew up. And the drive was longer, but much like driving back and forth on Woodway Park Road, the street that goes past Mom's house. But for the most part the trees in Woodway are bigger.





This is Gary next to some of the most amazing examples of the hanging moss.







We went past this wonderful sign









and here is a photo of Mom and me in front of the Big Spruce Tree.

The ranger at the rainforest gave me my favorite quote of the day. He had been to Sacramento to see his kids and said, "Sacramento is a great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit there." Way too true.








Gary thinks I am way too easily entertained, but I totally cracked up when I saw this sign on Maria's Mexican Restaurant in Port Angeles.

No comments: