Thursday, June 18, 2009

Raindrops keep falling on my head--

Wednesday began with a bit of an adventure I’d rather not repeat. I let the dogs out in Mom's backyard before 7 a.m., then Elsie disappeared. I called and called. Then I put Tule in the house in case there was a gate open. I checked all the gates, kept calling and finally found her hiding behind some gladiolas. Goofy dog was playing hide and seek! She acted like she was so pleased about having fooled me. I was not happy!

Rain hit us as we drove from Seattle to Astoria. Chehalis was quite wet--looked beautiful! It was cloudy, but dry when we arrived in Astoria.

Between Clatskanie and Westport someone is growing a lot of cottonwoods as a crop for the paper mill. There are several fields of cottonwoods in various stages of growth. Some have already been harvested. They are grown just like a corn crop. They grow so fast that they work well as a crop. Between 5 and 10 years after planting they are ready to harvest and plant some more. They are planted very close together in straight rows, just like corn. It is a good use of empty fields and no old-growth timber is used (for those who are worried about that). I don’t think I’d like to be here in Spring when they bloom. Hay fever nightmare! But the farmers are delighted to grow a crop that works here when other things won’t grow.

Mike and Julie came over for a visit and to plan the fishing trip for Thursday. More on that when they get back.

I tried to post this Wednesday night, but no signal. This morning the signal comes and goes, so photos will have to wait for a stronger signal day. ??? Oh well. Here are the words for yesterday.

No comments: