Thursday, March 15, 2012

Get Your Kicks on Route 66



Last night's RV park was right on old Route 66 and we also drove along it part of the day. What a nice old route.










The morning began with our usual dog walk and the walk ended with this nasty looking thing stuck in Tule's foot. When I tried to pull it off, it got stuck on my fingers. It has barbs like fish hooks that are very hard to pull out. I ended up using a rock to knock it off, then pulled out the single barbs as well as I could. I'm afraid a few tiny ones broke off in her foot. We'll be watching her closely. She didn't even fuss when she stepped on it--just stopped moving and held her foot in the air. Poor baby.






As we headed out from Needles, the sun was so bright I couldn't quit sneezing. Fortunately, we had some entertainment by the time my sneezing fit stopped (I've always sneezed at the sun). A van driver we labeled "the white knuckle lady" was obviously nervous driving that van. Every time she went over a little bump in the road, her brake lights would go on. If a truck passed her, the lights would go on. Going over an overpass, the lights would go on--and she was going uphill the whole time. We ended up with the giggles every time they'd light up. I know--we are way too easily entertained.

There was a little bit of snow along the roadside. And when we got to our Flagstaff RV park, there was one patch of snow to be found when I walked the dogs.
















The best part about this spot is the restaurant located on the site. It is Black Bart's Steakhouse and if you are ever in Flagstaff you MUST eat here! Food was excellent, but the entertainment was the best.












The servers had to pass an audition to work here and could they ever sing. The music was the kind I really love--songs from musicals, Disney. They'd be serving food, jump on stage to sing their part of a song and go right back to serving before the song was even over. The restaurant looks like a little old shack. When the RV park told me we'd need reservations I was skeptical from the look of the building. But they were right. It was packed. And it was fantastic!







To make the day complete--it is a nice cool night--really good sleeping weather.

1 comment:

Britta, Webmistress of the Dark said...

Poor Tule! I hope you didn't get any barbs stuck in your fingers! Hopefully the food was good enough for Dad even if he didn't enjoy the singing as much. ;)

-Britta