Friday, March 16, 2012

The South Rim of the Grand Canyon


We hadn't really planned to go to the Grand Canyon again, but when we discovered how close it was to Flagstaff, we stayed another day and headed up there.







It is hard to believe there isn't any undergrowth under the trees--all the way from Flagstaff to the South Rim!














These beautiful beware of the Elk signs are all over this part of Arizona. I love the artwork on this sign.














When we got to the South Rim, we walked over to a couple of the Outlooks. I even got up enough nerve to stand by the rail. I had nightmares of babies and puppies falling over the edge after we visited the North Rim. This was better--not quite so high and nice sturdy railings here. Tonight will be the true test if I don't have any nightmares.














Gary enjoyed the view of the Grand Canyon enormously.














Then I found this book--so glad I didn't see it before I looked at the view!












A young couple were teaching their kitty to walk on a leash up to the edge of the canyon--so cute! It was doing pretty well for a beginner.













Then there was this guy carrying his St. Bernard puppy along the trail. He'll be sorry when that puppy is awake all night!

















We made it back to the RV park in plenty of time to head out to Sedona. We were stunned by the amazing scenery on this route. You feel like you are down in the middle of the Grand Canyon. If any of you have never been here, you owe it to yourself to take the time to visit. It is so different from anywhere you've ever been. I still prefer the rain and the Pacific NW scenery (it is possible I am biased), but this is a stunning area.

No comments: