Thursday, July 12, 2012

Miles and miles and miles

We are up to almost 900 miles on this rental car this trip and still need to drive to Minneapolis tomorrow. I am ready to take a long break from driving.

Drove to Decorah, Iowa today through corn and corn and more corn. It was so green and beautiful. We learned that locals in Wisconsin consider a speed limit just a suggestion unless they are driving through a small town. I was driviing the speed limit and angering a lot of drivers behind me. I'd pull over and let them pass and eventually there'd be more stuck behind me. We drove Old 18 so didn't mess with the freeway today. Much prettier scenery when you avoid the freeways. We also learned that a Rest Area in Wisconsin is called a "Wayside". There is no end to the education you get on a trip like this. : )

Vesterheim is beautiful We saw two rosmaling items done by my Daughters of Norway friend, Karen Nelson. She is so talented! While I enjoyed Vesterheim, I have to say without bias that the Nordic Heritage Museum in Ballard, WA is equally well done.

For tonight we are in a motel with a large number of motorcycllists--very large motorcyclists. Interesting group.

Our motels this trip have run the gamut from a 50's style small town motel to modern high quality motels, to the beautiful Ruby Marie Hotel in Madison last night that was buiilt in 1875 and refurbished about 10 years ago. It is full of antiques and was very nicely redone to stay in the 1800's period style.

It has been a great trip and Mom has held up very well and so have I.

1 comment:

HARDY TIMES said...

Sounds like you are really enjoying yourself but agree about eating that restaurant food. What was the purpose of this trip to Mich?

It is cool in Coos Bay 68 to 70! Luckily partly sunny each day but quite a wind that comes up mid day. I guess we missed some real hot days in Roseville.